Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS
 
 
 

Propane explosion burns trailer in Bloomingdale

February 20, 2014
By MIKE LYNCH - Staff Writer (mlynch@adirondackdailyenterprise.com) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

BLOOMINGDALE - A man escaped with just minor injuries from a fire that destroyed his camping trailer Thursday afternoon.

Tommy Hough of Bloomingdale was trying to light a propane lantern when there was an explosion, according to one witness at the scene who didn't want to be identified. Hough's trailer was parked in front of a mobile home on property at 9 School St. that is owned by Monroe Gladd. The explosion apparently sparked the fire.

"Supposedly, he lit a lighter and it blew," Gladd said.

Article Photos

Mike Cassavaugh, second assistant chief with the Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department, stands in the door of a burned camping trailer on School Street in Bloomingdale Thursday afternoon.
(Enterprise photo — Mike Lynch)

Hough did not want to be interviewed but said he lost everything in the fire. He had been living in the trailer on the property for about six months, Gladd said.

When asked if Hough was injured, Gladd said, "He's fine" but added that Hough had "a couple of burns."

The fire occurred at roughly 1 p.m. Both the Saranac Lake and Bloomingdale fire departments responded and put out the fire.

Article Map

While on scene, Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Mike Cassavaugh said the "fire started in the front corner of the trailer," but he didn't have any other details.

Both departments sent two trucks, Cassavaugh said. The Saranac Lake department reported that it sent nine members, arrived on scene at 1:18 p.m. and was back in service at 2:21 p.m.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web