The state Department of Health today ordered all Tupper Lake village water users to boil the water before drinking it or using it for culinary purposes.
The order will last until Saturday at the earliest; that's if samples taken Thursday and Friday mornings pass safety tests.
The cause: One of the chlorine pumps went down at the Lake Simond treatment plant around 3 o'clock this morning, according to village Clerk Mary Casagrain.
"Our guys did their morning rounds, and at 8 o'clock, that's the time it dropped off the chart," she said. "We immediately shut that system off; we repaired the pump, re-chlorinated the system."
A man from the Health Department was there by 8:30 a.m. and issued the boil order, Casagrain said.
In addition to village residents, the order affects residents of the town of Tupper Lake outside village limits, unless they get their water from wells.
As people waits for the all-clear signal, they may see village workers flushing fire hydrants.
"They're going to flush every hydrant to help push the chlorine through the system," Casagrain said.
For drinking, making ice, washing dishes, brushing teeth and preparing food, the Health Department advises people to bring all water to a boil in a clean container, let it boil for one minute and let it cool, or use bottled water certified by the Health Department.