MOUNTAIN - to Harrietstown officials rezoning Ampersand Bay Resort for a planned resort development. It's a beautiful property, and the owners' proposed use is suitable, especially considering the long history of resort use on this bay at the east end of Lower Saranac Lake. From 1850 to 1888, the Saranac Lake House (generally called Martin's and then Miller's, after its successive owners) could house 250 guests. The subsequent Ampersand Hotel, a magnificent piece of architecture that lasted from 1888 to 1907, could hold 300 and boasted a nine-hole golf course, a toboggan slide and its own traveling baseball team, plus a complex of cottages. The Ampersand's advertisements called it "the Saratoga of Lower Saranac Lake."