Last week we presented 20 questions on vehicle and traffic law and traffic safety. Hopefully you took the test. This week we will repeat the questions, give you the answers, and the authority for the answers. Where the authority is MUCTD, it is the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. See how well you did.
1. If found guilty of driving with a BAC of 0.18 or more for the first time, it is a felony. True. It is a class E felony [V & T Law, article 1193 (4)(ii)]
2. A state trooper must be wearing his/her hat in order to make an arrest. False. It is part of the uniform and should be worn, but they are police officers and have enforcement powers even without the uniform.
3. Rural mailboxes along a roadside must be repaired by the highway department if damaged by a highway snowplow. False. (Highway Law, section 319)
4. It is illegal to follow a fire truck with lights flashing closer than 200 feet. True. It is illegal to follow a fire truck in the same or adjacent lane closer than 200 feet. (V & T Law, article 1217)
5. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices is recognized as the national standard for all traffic control devices installed on all public or private roads open to public travel. True. (MUTCD, page I-1, paragraph 02)
6. A linear speed limit (applies to a specific road or highway) can be set at 10 mph. False. The minimum is 25 mph. (V & T Law, article 1622-1)
7. Speed limits on town roads are set by the town board. False. State DOT has authority. (V & T Law, article 1622)
8. Changes to any traffic control device (traffic signs, signals, and pavement markings) should be made only after an engineering study. True. (MUTCD)
9. An engineering study can be made by any police officer. False. An engineering study shall be performed by an engineer, or by an individual working under the supervision of an engineer. [MUTCD, section 1A.13 (03)]
10. It is illegal to ride a bicycle with your feet removed from the pedals. True. [V & T Law, article 1232(a)]
11. Just holding a portable electronic device in a conspicuous manner is illegal. True. (V & T Law, 1225-d-4)
12. All-way stop signs at an intersection are an approved method of slowing traffic. False. Stop signs should not be used for speed control [MUTCD,sect. 2B.04 (05)]
13. A school bus without students does not have to stop at a railroad crossing. False. Any school bus, with or without passengers, MUST stop for railroad crossings. [V & T Law, article 1171(a)]
14. A single solid yellow line may be used on a two-lane roadway? False. A single solid yellow line shall not be used as a centerline marking on a two-way roadway. [MUTCD, section 3B.01 (05)]
15. The Traffic Safety Board is a good resource for traffic law and safety. True. Members of the TSB have the required knowledge or know where to obtain it.
16. Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of: A) a solid double white line, B) a single solid white line, C) a single solid yellow line? A Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of a solid double white line. [MUTCD, 3B.04 (30)]
17. The maximum length of a school speed zone is: A) 1/2 mile, B) no limit, C) 1/4 mile? A The maximum length of a school speed zone is 1320 feet, which is 1/4 mile. (V&T Law, article 1622-1)
18. A driver convicted of speeding more than 40 mph over the posted speed limit is assigned A) 3 points, B) 6 points, C) 11 points against his/her license? C 11 points. (NYS DMV)
19. The length of the yellow dashed lines to permit passing on a two-lane road are: A) 3 feet, B) 5 feet, C) 10 feet? C Broken lines should consist of 10-foot line segments and 30-foot gaps. [MUTCD, section 3A.06 (04)]
20. An "area" speed limit, such as for a village, cannot be less than: A) 20 mph, B) 30 mph, C) 40 mph? A An area speed limit cannot be less than 30 mph. (V & T Law, article 1622-2)
How did you do? Are you a traffic law and traffic engineering guru or do you need a little more learning? For these and many more traffic law and safety articles go to: www.franklincony.org and from the pull-down menu for departments, click on Traffic Safety Board.