Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS

Hikers rescued from Giant, Baker mountains

July 12, 2012
By MIKE LYNCH and CHRIS KNIGHT - Staff Writers , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Forest rangers and local emergency workers performed rescues on Giant Mountain near Keene Valley and Baker Mountain in Saranac Lake over the past two days.

On Tuesday afternoon, forest rangers and state police used a helicopter to rescue a 16-year-old girl from the summit of Giant Mountain near Keene Valley

The rescue occurred after a member of the girl's hiking party called Essex County 911, which transferred the call to the state Department of Environmental Conservation dispatch center in Ray Brook, to report that the girl had become sick and unable to walk, according to the DEC. The call came in at about 4:15 p.m.

In response, a forest ranger and an assistant forest ranger began walking up the mountain while two other forest rangers were transported by a state police helicopter to the summit.

At the summit, one forest ranger was lowered to the ground to prepare the girl to be hoisted into the helicopter, which was done by the forest ranger remaining in the helicopter.

The girl was then flown to Marcy Field in Keene Valley, transferred to a Keene Valley ambulance at 5:52 p.m. and transported to Elizabethtown Community Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

Forest rangers and the assistant forest ranger escorted the rest of the hiking party back to their vehicles.


Baker Mountain

On Wednesday, a 12-year-old boy suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration had to be carried down Mt. Baker in Saranac Lake by firefighters.

Saranac Lake firefighters hiked to the summit of the mountain after receiving the call just before 4 p.m. They carried the boy, who is from Watertown, down in a litter. He was given water and intravenous fluids.

By the time they reached the trailhead, firefighters said the boy was able to walk out under his own power.

The boy was taken to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake for observation. A DEC forest ranger assisted firefighters, who were back at the fire station by 6:36 p.m.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web