Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS
 
 
 

State will pay local share of Irene recovery costs

April 11, 2012
By CHRIS MORRIS - Staff Writer (cmorris@adirondackdailyenterprise.com) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

KEENE - The weather kept Gov. Andrew Cuomo from making the announcement in person, but the message was heard loud and clear: New York state will pay municipalities' share of recovery costs associated with last year's tropical storms Irene and Lee.

Darrell Aubertine, commissioner of the state Department of Agriculture and Markets, announced the news at a press conference this morning at the Keene Volunteer Fire Department. The fire station was among many structures along the AuSable River system that was destroyed when Irene tore through the region last August. Cuomo had planned to travel to Keene this morning to make the announcement himself, but his staff was concerned about visibility in the mountains because of isolated snow and rain showers.

Aubertine said the Federal Emergency Management Agency pays 75 percent of disaster relief while the remaining 25 percent is split evenly between the state and local government. Now New York will pick up local governments' 12.5 percent share, statewide.

Article Photos

Keene town Supervisor Bill Ferebee, today at the Keene firehouse, thanks the state for its decision to pay the local share of recovery costs related to tropical storms Irene and Lee.
(Enterprise photo — Chris Morris)

The towns of Jay and Keene saw some of the worst damage. Jay has borrowed millions of dollars to pay for cleanup and repairs.

"Some of the worst disaster to ever befall New York state happened, as we all know, last year, and the cost of that recovery has stretched community budgets beyond their limits," Aubertine said. "The preparation, recovery and rebuilding have costs localities millions they simply cannot afford."

Aubertine said total cleanup costs are expected to exceed $1.6 billion statewide. That means county and town governments would have been on the hook for millions of dollars, he said. In northern New York, those local shares were projected to surpass $2.5 million, Aubertine said.

"And as these local officials I'm sure would verify, that's a burden that they simply cannot afford," he said. "The lack of resources could jeopardize the recovery effort with communities, even holding off on critical projects.

Keene town Supervisor Bill Ferebee was among numerous local government officials who flanked Aubertine at today's press conference. He said his town was able to meet the state's new property tax cap last year, but it had to eliminate some services to do so.

"With this cost of the 12.5 percent that will not be laid on us, we can maybe put some of these things back in our budget for next year," Ferebee said.

"It's great news," he added. "It's great for all of our taxpayers."

Ferebee said the additional help from the state is further proof of Cuomo's commitment to the North Country. Aubertine said "there's no question" that Cuomo loves the Adirondacks.

"He's going to do all he can to help us recover, not only here, but all across the state," Aubertine said.

---

Contact Chris Morris at 518-891-2600 ext. 26 or cmorris@adirondackdailyenterprise.com.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web