Last year, about this time, we issued a "Did You Know" article with 20 questions on Vehicle & Traffic Law and traffic safety, and gave you an opportunity to answer them. The following week, the answers to the questions comprised the weekly article. Now, we will try it again, this time with a different set of questions. Take the quiz, jot down your answers, look for the correct answers in this column next week, and see how extensive your knowledge of Vehicle and Traffic law and traffic safety really is.
1. If you have a green light, is it permissible to enter an intersection to turn left if there is oncoming traffic?
2. Driving along a rural road you hit a cat. Do you have to stop by law?
3. In a school zone, posted at 20 mph, during what times on school days do you have to obey this speed limit?
4. On a street or road with a median, if a school bus is stopped on the other side of the median with its red lights flashing, are you required to stop?
5. While driving, your cell phone rings. You put on your right turn signal, pull over to the side of the road and answer your phone. While you complete your conversation, you leave your right turn signal on. Is this a violation?
6. True or false - A school bus traveling with students on an interstate highway with a posted speed limit of 65 mph must not exceed 55 mph.
7. T or F -?A clear, plastic license plate cover is allowed to protect the license.
8. T or F - a speeding ticket in Ontario results in points on your NYS license.
9. What is the meaning of a flashing green light on a traffic signal in Quebec?
10. T or F-Amber rear turn signals are safer than red ones.
11. T or F-purple pavement markings are used for parking at funeral homes.
12. T or F-It's illegal to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel.
13. T or F-When leaving a parallel parking space on the right side of the street, you must use your left turn signal.
14. As you drive along the road, you approach a National Grid bucket truck, amber lights flashing, working on the wires. By law, what are you required to do?
15. T or F -?It is permissible for a rear-seat passenger, at least 21 years old, to drink a beer while the vehicle is being driven along the highway.
16. T or F-It is legal to drink alcoholic beverages by passengers 21 and over while riding on a tour bus.
17. T or F-It's permissible to use a Slow Moving Vehicle sign to mark your driveway as long as the signs are placed at least 10 feet from the pavement.
18. T or F-U-turns are prohibited on roads with a speed limit above 50 mph.
19. T or F-On a village street, with a sidewalk in safe condition for walking on only one side, it is permissible to walk in the street.
20. T or F - the maximum distance you are allowed to drive in a "two-way left turn lane" is 500 feet.
21. Bonus question! When towing a disabled vehicle, with a properly licensed driver in the towed vehicle, what is the maximum length allowed for the tow rope?
How do you think you did? For the answers to these 21 questions, read next week's article on Vehicle and Traffic Law and traffic safety. For these and many more traffic law and safety articles go to: www.franklincony.org and from the pull-down menu for departments, click on Traffic Safety Board.