WILMINGTON - The United States of America Snowboard Association held its second slopestyle competition of the year last Sunday in the Brookside Terrain Park at Whiteface Mountain. Skiers and snowboarders competed on a course made up of jumps, rails and boxes for a chance to win the regional title and earn points toward the USASA Nationals to be held at season's end at Copper Mountain, Colo.
The event was sponsored locally by NYSEF, Whiteface Mountain and Hardway Apparel. The following are the results from the event:
Open Class Men
NYSEF athlete Anthony Russo of Plattsburgh flies through Brookside Terrain Park at Whiteface Mountain during the USASA Adirondack slopestyle competition last Sunday.
1. Matt Nardiello, 2. Orion Stearns
Open Skier Men
1. Keith Shipman
Skier Boys (9 & under)
1. Kaylen Reiley, 2. Elias Ford, 3. Camden Reiley
Skier Boys (10-12)
1. Brain Gardiner, 2. Jack DeWeese, 3. Jake Roney
Breaker Boys (12-13)
1. Josh Boise, 2. Greg Livingston, 3. Anthony Russo
Skier Men (13-15)
1. Jake Wenn, 2. Jacob Prichard, 3. Gavin Fritz
Youth Men (14-15)
1. Daniel Badgley, 2. Demetrio Drellos
Junior Men (16-17)
1. Christian Mattila, 2. Romano Leal, 3. David Cardany
Skier Men (16-18)
1. Alex Higgins-Lopez, 2. Jason Castle, 3. Peter Palumbo
Whiteface Bumps and Jumps
WILMINGTON - The New York Ski Educational Foundation hosted A-level moguls skiers at the Whiteface Bumps and Jumps on Jan. 21 and 22.
The top young freestyle skiers from the United States Ski & Snowboard Association's Eastern Region converged on the Lower Wilderness Trail to compete in moguls and dual moguls on the same course that was used by the FIS World Cup competitors just days before.
Former NYSEF athlete Abe Studler took third both days of the competition and third overall. Current NYSEF skier Erik Sparkowski finished 25th Saturday and 26th overall.