LEWIS - State police say a 16-year-old girl from Lewis died after an accidental prescription drug overdose.
Ashley M. Grady was found in her bedroom at 618 Fox Run Road the morning of Dec. 21, 2011 by her sister. She was unresponsive when rescue personnel arrived, and life-saving measures taken at the time were unsuccessful.
Investigators said in a press release that Dr. C. Francis Varga of Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake completed a review of toxicology reports and has determined the cause of death to be respiratory arrest due to an oxymorphone overdose.
The manner of death has been ruled accidental.
According to police, the narcotic drug found in Grady's system had been prescribed to another member of her household.
Grady was a 10th-grader at Elizabethtown-Lewis Central School. She lived at the home with her parents and her sister, who is 17.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine says oxymorphone is an opiate analgesic used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It can be habit forming, according to the Library of Medicine's website.