Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS
 
 
 

FEMA funding offered for SL spring flood repairs

December 30, 2011
By CHRIS KNIGHT - Senior Staff Writer (cknight@adirondackdailyenterprise.com) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

SARANAC LAKE - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has agreed to provide funding for repairs to some village infrastructure damaged in the spring floods.

"They've identified 10 projects that they're willing to assist in, four of which have been given physical FEMA numbers, which means they're in the works," village Manager John Sweeney told the village Board of Trustees on Tuesday.

The 10 FEMA-identified projects have a total eligible expense of $950,000, and range from a low of $7,585, for repairs to the foundation of the village office building, up to $338,665, for repairs to the clarifier tank at the village wastewater treatment plant.

Four of the projects have been assigned project numbers and funding from FEMA, which will cover 75 percent of the project's cost. The state and the village will split the remaining 25 percent.

The federal government will kick in $36,226 as its share of what the village spent in labor, equipment and supplies in responding to the floods. It will also contribute $35,214 for repairs to the River Walk, a section of which behind the Harrietstown Town Hall was damaged by flooding of the Saranac River. The federal share for repairs to a damaged section of the headwall in Riverside Park, next to the Lake Flower dam, is $7,045. And FEMA has earmarked $5,154 toward the clarifier tank repairs, which would make up the difference between that project's total cost and the amount the village's insurance carrier may cover, roughly $336,000.

Barton and Loguidice, one of the two engineering firms the village hired to evaluate the damage from the floods, said in a Dec. 20 letter to Sweeney that the funding amounts being offered were determined in negotiations with FEMA and the state Emergency Management Office.

Sweeney said both Barton and Loguidice and AES Northeast, the other engineering firm that's assisted on the project, are preparing proposals for designing and engineering each of the projects. Barton and Loguidice would handle seven of the 10 projects and is asking for $72,900, according to a written proposal the company has provided to the village. AES Northeast is asking for $101,000 for design services associated with reconstruction of the sewer plant clarifier.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web