She recovered the newspapers from the Goldmine, that legendary oasis of the mundane and the magnificent located on the Bloomingdale Road and owned by her late uncle, Orville Paye.
The former Reception Hospital, now an apartment house located at the top end of Franklin Avenue, opened in 1902.
February 1942 — “Reception Hospital will sponsor its 40th annual benefit tea in the parish house of St. Luke the Beloved Physician from 4 to 6 p.m. on Feb. 26. Proceeds from the benefit will be applied to the free bed fund maintained in the hospital.
“Reception Hospital was built and endowed as a receiving base for Trudeau Sanatorium. In the early days of the sanatorium many more applications for admission were received than could be accepted. Those who were forced to await their turn were advised to come to this village and rest at Reception Hospital until a bed became available in the Trudeau Sanatorium.
“Local physicians form the staff and serve without compensation.”
March 1943 — “Pvt. Robert Hayes has returned to his base at Pueblo, Colo., after passing his furlough here visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Hayes of 223 Broadway.
“Miss Barbara Tousley has returned to Middlebury College after passing a few days here visiting her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Frederick K. Tousley of Kiwassa Road.
“Harold Bentz, Jr., has returned to the Bradon School at Cornwall-on-the-Hudson after passing several weeks here visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Bentz of the Old Military Estates.
“The Golden Jubilee dance of Miller Hose Company of the Saranac Lake Fire Department will be held on April 26 at the Harrietstown Hall. The dance will feature round and square dancing.”
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church was mentioned in two news items:
“Guy H. Wood was elected president of the Service Group of St. Luke’s at a meeting held at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Hooker of 29 Neil Street.
“Amy Jones, nationally known Saranac Lake artist, recently signed a contract with the American Artists’ Group of New York City, giving them the right to reproduce any of her paintings for Christmas card purposes.
“One of Mrs. Jones’ most admired paintings has been chosen by the group. It depicts a night scene of the Church of St. Luke with the church lighted and parishioners on their way to services.”
February 1942 — “A new school for radio technicians to be operated by the Federal Government will be opened in this village within a few weeks, it was announced here yesterday. Graduates will be qualified to enter the armed forces with rank of technical sergeant in the Army or chief petty officer in the Navy. Willard W. Van Allen has been appointed director of the Government’s emergency science-mathematics defense training program for this area. Mr. Van Allen is an industrial arts instructor at the Saranac Lake High School.”
It doesn’t sound like a lot of money today, but in 1943 it was a lot of pennies for students to donate:
“Junior Red Cross members from the Petrova Avenue, Broadway and River Street Schools have raised the sum of $77.35, which has been turned over to the Red Cross War Fund drive now being conducted by the Saranac Lake Chapter, it was announced today.
“This money was raised through penny donations and in April the Junior Red Cross members made 50 Easter baskets for the veterans at Sunmount. They also have made afghans, ditty bags, metal ash trays, sweaters, mittens, beanies and writing boards; in addition they have re-covered magazines for service men and collected books for the Library book campaign”.
February 1942, registering for the draft — “The third registration for the draft has produced 1,187 in the Saranac Lake area, members of the draft board announced on Wednesday. In Harrietstown, 638 men registered while at Tupper Lake 480 signed up. The registration at St. Regis Falls was 70.
“The latest registration gives the Saranac Lake board a total of 3,000 men listed for possible service. The first registration on October 16, 1940 produced 790 registrants. The second registration added 103.”
This photo ran in the Sunday, Jan. 25, 1942 Gravure section of the Syracuse Post-Standard. The caption read: “An interesting group of Winter sports fans pictured at the Lake Placid Club recently. Left to right, Dr. Rene Dubos, prominent scientist, Mrs. Dubos, Mrs. Vorwald and Dr. Arthur Vorwald of Saranac Lake.
(Photo — D.J. Wright)